Tuesday. 9:57 PM. I’m nursing a glass of red wine, winding down from a long ass workday and four hours of work on a school project. Listening to my In My Feelings playlist and just vibing. Being me. Not the me from a few days ago, but happy me. Reflecting on how I handled my first holiday as a single woman. Spoiler: It was a train wreck.
I spent Thanksgiving Day alone. I had invitations to go places, but I really just wanted a day to myself. Turns out, that was a terrible idea. I spent the entire day focused on my shortcomings, rather than all of the amazing shit that has happened to me this year. In turn, I found myself crying for days and refusing to get out of bed. Picking fights in hopes to make other people feel as miserable as I felt. It was wrong as hell. I’ve owned it and accepted that I ain’t shit for acting that way.
Despite my depression, I managed to finish working on this site. I even managed to finish the last post that took me days to write. But look at me now! I made it. I cannot stress enough how I have personally benefited from therapy. This time last year… I would have been blaming everyone but myself for my actions. Anyway, that’s neither here nor there.
I wanted to take a moment to reflect on all of the great things that I’ve experienced this year.
January – April
- I traded my old car for a 2020 Kia Optima. That’s right, the first car that I purchased on my own.
- We got a puppy! Stella is a Morkie (Maltese/Yorkie Mix). I found an amazing breeder down in Mount Pleasant, SC and the process was seamless. We absolutely love her.
- We took the kids to Great Wolf Lodge in North Carolina for Spring Break.
- I bought some skates… That was a very short lived hobby.
- The divorce was finalized.
May – August
- I cut my hair again. Hair cuts for me symbolize freedom and new beginnings.
- I bought a Peloton Bike and lost some weight.
- I bought an iMac and an iPad Pro.
- I took trips to Albany, GA…twice… to see… A friend.
- I started hanging out with my friends more.
- I celebrated my 36th birthday at Folly Beach with the kids.
September – Present Day
- I joined the dating scene. It didn’t work out. I’m not ready, lol.
- I upgraded to the iPhone 13 Pro Max.
- WE OUTSIDE, Y’ALL!
- I took the kids to not one, not two, but THREE birthday parties, and we have plans for one more this year.
- I took my first solo trip to New Jersey and New York to hang out with my girl, Kay. We went to the So Shameless Podcast live show.
- I took the kids to the State Fair for the first time since 2014.
- I went to the Columbia R&B Festival and sung off-key to Bobby Brown, Brian McKnight, Debarge, Dru Hill, Keith Sweat, and Tevin Campbell.
- I received a Superior rating on my work performance review.
It’s been a great year for me. It’s nice to remind myself that despite the challenges and downfalls, I’ve had way more good days than bad ones.